Meeting Minutes 2012

________________________________________________

No December  2012 meeting

________________________________________________

Steering Committee Minutes

November 2012

Present:  Greg Ricks, Bobbi Galvin, Doug Cuny, Carl Langley, Kay Shaw, Ken Stephens, Tom Unterberger, Bill Jackson

The meeting was called to order by Greg Ricks at his home at 7:03 PM.

Treasurer’s report:
Treasurer Cuny advised that all receipts have been paid to date. Treasurer’s report will be filed for audit.

Secretary’s Report was approved and is available online.

Committee Reports:

Apartment & Real Estate
Kyni Hartwell, chair:

  • Danny Scarth met with some of the apartment managers to see how we can all work together.

Safety & Security – Carl Langley, chair:

  • There was a break-in on Oakmont Lane.  A couple of people saw the silver BMW, but no one reported the strange vehicle in the neighborhood.  We all need to call 911 when someone doesn’t belong.
  • There was another break-in on Country Club.
  • Carl will be asking for a saturation detail in Woodhaven.
  • Burglaries are up in the neighborhood.  Assaults were all in the apartments.

Enhancement – Ken Stephens, Tom Unterberger, co-chairs:

  • We received a reimbursement check from the company that destroyed the irrigation system.
  • Ken is back!
  • Texas Midstream is almost finished digging at the Randol Mill and Bridge St. and will be starting on the new marker.

Membership – Peggy Schooler, chair

  • Nothing to report

Publicity & Website – Bobbi Galvin, chair

Special projects & Programs – Wanda Lanham and Tony Browning, co-chairs

  • Nothing to report

New Business

  • We will send out an email blast asking for volunteers for the next slate of officers/participants.
  • Annual meeting will be held at either the country club or at Farm Life.  Bill will make those arrangements.

There be no further businesses, the meeting was adjourned at 8:00 PM.

________________________________________________

October 2012

Present:  Greg Ricks, Bobbi Galvin, Wanda Lanham, Doug Cuny, Kyni Hartwell, Carl Langley, Kay Shaw, Tom Uterberger, Tony Browning, Bill Jackson, Marty Jackson

The meeting was called to order by Greg Ricks at the home of Kay Shaw at 7:03 PM.

Treasurer’s report:
Treasurer Cuny advised that all receipts have been paid to date. Treasurer’s report will be filed for audit.

Secretary’s Report was approved and is available online.

Committee Reports:

Apartment & Real Estate
Kyni Hartwell, chair:

  • There are more for sale signs this month than last month.
  • Surry Oaks Apts. are in foreclosure.
  • Building Standards gave Bella Apts. another month to come up to code standards.

Safety & Security – Carl Langley, chair:

  • Assaults, theft of motor vehicles and burglaries increased at the apartments last month.
  • We are definitely better off than last year.
  • National Night Out was on October 2nd at the storefront.  From what the Code Blue committee understands, the event was the most successful in recent history.

Enhancement – Tom Unterberger, chair:

  • The irrigation repairs continue.
  • New team in January can vote on a new landscaper, if they desire.
  • Home Depot is still willing to make donations for the markers.
  • All bandit and election signs will be removed at the markers.

Membership – Peggy Schooler, chair

  • Nothing to report

 Publicity & Website – Bobbi Galvin, chair

Website hits

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Total
2011 139 131 522 620 503 467 1,249 958 696 669 806 563 7,323
2012 1,055 888 657 904 794 496 522 394 388 145 6,243

Special projects & Programs – Wanda Lanham and Tony Browning, co-chairs

  • Spring Flower Sale was batted around – need to remind the new board.

New Business

  • Nominating Committee is Kay Shaw and Bobbi Galvin.  We will send out an email blast asking for volunteers. Nominees include the following:

President:  Bill Jackson, a former treasurer of this board
VP:  _________________
Secretary: Bobbi Galvin
Treasurer:  ____________  or Doug Cuny

Membership:  Becky Haskin, Mary Dumas (?)
Publicity & Website:  Bobbi Galvin

Safety & Security: Carl Langley
Real Estate:  ______________
Special Events & Programs: _______________
Enhancement: Ken Stephens, Greg Ricks, Kay Shaw, Tony Browning &  ____________

There be no further businesses, the meeting was adjourned at 7:50 PM.

Next Steering Committee meeting: Wednesday, October 6th at 7:00 PM.

______________________________________________

September 2012

Present:  Greg Ricks, Bobbi Galvin, Wanda Lanham, Doug Cuny, Kyni Hartwell, Carl Langley, Kay Shaw

The meeting was called to order by Greg Ricks at the home of Bobbi Galvin at 7:05 PM.

Treasurer’s report:
Treasurer Cuny advised that all receipts have been paid to date. Treasurer’s report will be filed for audit.

Secretary’s Report was approved and is available online.

Committee Reports:

Apartment & Real Estate
Kyni Hartwell, chair:

  • Apt. managers are meeting more regularly and may be interested in joining forces/communicating.  Greg will follow up.

Safety & Security – Carl Langley, chair:

  • 10 assults & a few burglaries – all in the apartments.  Very little to report in the homes.
  • National Night Out will be on October 2nd, at the storefront.  While we will have food/visitation, the focus will be on growing the membership.  WNA will assist promoting this via the website and email blasts.

Enhancement – Tom Unterberger, chair:

  • The pipeline will be going in along Bridge Street, so things are going to look worse before it gets better.
  • Sprinkler at Highwoods has been destroyed and TexStar seems to be responsible.  We are working with AT&T to get specific dates and times of damage, since they sustained damage as well.

Membership – Peggy Schooler, chair

  • Nothing to report

Publicity & Website – Bobbi Galvin, chair

  • Nothing to report

Special projects & Programs – Wanda Lanham and Tony Browning, co-chairs

  • Nothing to report

New Business

  • Greg is hoping to spearhead an effort to gain some donations for the fire victims at the apartments.  Greg and Carl will work with the apt. manager to see what needs the homeowners can meet.
  • Other neighborhood associations want to have another shredding event.  We will leave that for the springtime.
  • Nominating Committee will be Kay Shaw and Bobbi Galvin.  We will send out an email blast asking for volunteers.

There be no further businesses, the meeting was adjourned at 8:00 PM.

Next Steering Committee meeting: TBA

______________________________________________________________________

August 2012

Present:
Greg Ricks, Kyni Hartwell, Carl Langley, Bobbi Galvin, Peggy Schooler, Kay Shaw, Tony Browning,
Doug Cuny, Tom Unterberger

The meeting was called to order by Greg Ricks at the home of Tony Browning at 7:05 PM.

Treasurer’s report:
Treasurer Cuny advised that all receipts have been paid to date. Treasurer’s report will be filed for audit.

Secretary’s Report was approved and is available online.

Committee Reports:

Apartment & Real Estate
Kyni Hartwell, chair:

  • Several apartment complexes have been brought to the attention of Code Compliance/Building Standards Commission. All meetings are archived online.
  • 5 pending sales in Woodhaven
  •   sold in the last six months
  • Officer Speed advised that the owner of Surry Oaks has left town.  Manager advised that owner is not be able to be contacted.

Safety & Security – Carl Langley, chair:

  • Carl advised that vandalism has increased this month.
  • The Quinta Inn at Eastchase is an unsecured, unfinished property.  Code Compliance is aware of the missing gate, the weeds, graffiti, etc.
  • Code Compliance is also aware of the old Bennegin’s Restaurant property issues.  Air conditioners have been stolen, windows have been broken as well.
  • There has been one burglary and few other crimes…pretty quiet right now in Woodhaven.
  • Boca Club manager wants to move the bus stop over to Bridge Street.  Greg will speak to Danny about this.

Enhancement – Tom Unterberger, chair:

  • Wetter is Better came and discovered several leaks at Ranol Mill & Highwoods
  • Boca and Highwoods also had a leak on the double-check valve and another leak as well. A battery powered rain sensor was installed.  Sprinkler heads were also repaired/replaced/lowered to ground level.
  • Trenching company broke pipes at Randal Mill and Highwoods.  We are working on finding who broke the lines.
  • Currently no water at a couple of markers.
  • Marker at Boca and Bridgewood is being torn down.  The “Woodhaven” stone is being stored at Chesapeake till the wall can be put back in place.  Budget for the marker $20,000, to be paid for by Chesapeake line company.
  • Perhaps some local businesses would like to sponsor some markers…?

Membership – Peggy Schooler, chair

  • There are still a few memberships coming in.
  • Greg advised that neighborhood association memberships are down throughout the city.

Publicity & Website – Bobbi Galvin, chair

  • It was suggested that in order for the newsletter to be successful, we need to do it more than once.

Special projects & Programs – Wanda Lanham and Tony Browning, co-chairs

  • Semi-annual Meeting/Ice Cream Social will be on August 21st at the insurance building on Bridge St.  6:30-8:00PM.
  • Code Blue will be co-sponsoring this event.  We will be trying to recruit Code Blue members at this meeting.  Carl will be assisting. Kyni will be meeting with NPO Perez about having a few extra officers to assist with recruiting.
  • Shredding Event has been postponed to the fall when it’s cooler.
  • Grandy’s drive-in will be possibly going in at the Cheveron station.  It will replace their little car wash.
  • The 14th annual Golf Tournament will be held on Monday, Sept 17th.  Sponsors and players are needed.  Assistance is needed in selling raffle tickets, getting sponsorship and getting players.

New Business

  • Kyni proposed that we speak to someone at the City about the curb repairs on Boca Raton.

There be no further businesses, the meeting was adjourned at 8:10 PM.

Next Steering Committee meeting: Wednesday, Sept. 4th at 7:00 PM at the home of Greg Ricks.

__________________________________________________

July 2012

Present: Greg Ricks, Kyni Hartwell, Carl Langley, Bobbi Galvin, Peggy Schooler, Wanda Lanham, Doug Cuny, Kay Shaw

The meeting was called to order by Greg Ricks at the home of Peggy Schooler at 7:13 PM.

Treasurer’s Report:
Treasurer Cuny advised that all receipts have been paid to date. Treasurer’s report will be filed for audit.

Secretary’s Report was approved and is available online.

Committee Reports:

Apartment & Real Estate
Kyni Hartwell, chair:

  • Nothing to report.

Safety & Security – Carl Langley, chair:

  • Carl continues to collect Woodhaven crime activity.
  • Apartment complexes are still the center for crime activities.  Burglaries are down in the homes, but up in the apartments.  Aggravated assaults are also up in the apartments.
  • Some crime preventing youth youths were recognized by the Optimists for turning in some burglars in the apartments.  They were given several “goodies” and cash as a reward.
  • Just a note…There are 500 sex offenders living in East Fort Worth.  There is no ordinance defining where they can/cannot live.
  • We need to continue to push Code Blue.

Enhancement – Tom Unterberger, chair:

  • Tom has called the city to turn off the water at Bridgewood and Boca Raton and also at Randol Mill and Highwoods because of sprinkler leaks and possible damage by someone digging on the site.  Cause of the damage and repair options to be determined.
  • It has been requested that Brandon will document his work daily instead of monthly.
  • Other bids for landscaping will be sought at the end of Brandon’s contract.  Send Tom potential landscapers.

Membership – Peggy Schooler, chair

  • A few memberships are coming in.

Publicity & Website – Bobbi Galvin, chair

  • Nothing to report.

Special projects & Programs – Wanda Lanham and Tony Browning, co-chairs

  • Sandi and Kay will be spearheading the ice cream social in August. We discussed doing this activity in conjunction with Code Blue.
  • Wanda received a note from Sierra Shredding Company to let her know that they are going to set up at Albertson’s on the 4th Saturday every other month, charging $5 per box.  Time will be 8 to noon.  She will see if she can’t get this changed.

There be no further businesses, the meeting was adjourned at 8:23 PM.

_________________________________________________________

June 2012

The meeting was called to order by Greg Ricks at the Woodhaven Country Club at 7:13 PM.

Present: Greg Ricks, Kyni Hartwell, Carl Langley, Bobbi Galvin, Peggy Schooler, Wanda Lanham, Doug Cuny, Kay Shaw

Treasurer’s report:
Treasurer Cuny advised that all receipts have been paid to date. Treasurer’s report will be filed for audit.

  • Kay went to the Albertson’s ribbon cutting and they presented us with a $100 gift card since we are a neighborhood organization.
  • The shredding event created $87 profit. It will be added to the next deposit.

Secretary’s Report was approved and is available online.

Committee Reports:

Apartment & Real Estate
Kyni Hartwell, chair:

  • Not scheduled for this meeting since we are focusing on 4th of July activities

Safety & Security – Carl Langley, chair:

  • Crimemapping.com was mentioned.  Watch there for area crime activity.

Enhancement – Tom Unterberger, chair:

  • Re: the marker on Boca – there is some litigation involved.  The owner of the rest of the land is arguing the price.
  • The markers will be re-evaluated as far as cost.

Membership – Peggy Schooler, chair

  • Memberships have stopped coming in for now.
  • We will be dividing up the names of those who have not joined and we will be contacting them.
  • We are considering inviting the new members of the neighborhood (based on home sales listed in the MLS) to the 4th of July.  Greg/Kay will be getting addresses from Kyni.

Publicity & Website – Bobbi Galvin, chair

  • We may be sending out a postcard instead of doing a full newsletter this time around.

Special projects & Programs – Wanda Lanham and Tony Browning, co-chairs

  • Wanda has been working the 4th of July event at the country club.  It is a club event, not a WNA event.
  • Country club staff will be handling the activities and decorating.
  • Activities will be outside and in the Terrace Room.
  • WNA was asked to do color guard, national anthem and flags.
  • Chesapeake donated $500 towards this event.
  • There will be no speaker.
  • Pool will be available as well as bounce house/slide.
  • There will be either a band or a DJ.
  • The proposed menu will be at cost since this a community event, not a profit-making event.  Menu may include fruits, salad, slaw, baked beans, chicken, sausages, hot dogs, mac & cheese, drinks, cobblers and ice cream.
  • There will be a cash bar.
  • WNA steering committee members will sell tickets.
  • Final cost to be determined.
  • Members of the Club will get 10% discount on everything.
  • Food will be served 11-3:30.
  • Let’s have some WNA membership flyers at the club available for attendees.

There be no further businesses, the meeting was adjourned at 8:10 PM.

__________________________________________________________

May 2012

Present: Greg Ricks, Kyni Hartwell, Carl Langley, Bobbi Galvin, Peggy Schooler, Wanda Lanham, Ken Stephens, Doug Cuny, Tom Unterberger, Kay Shaw

The meeting was called to order by Greg Ricks at the home of Tony Browning at 7:13 PM.

Treasurer’s report:
Treasurer Cuny advised that all receipts have been paid to date. Treasurer’s report will be filed for audit.

Secretary’s Report was approved and is available online.

Committee Reports:

Apartment & Real Estate
Kyni Hartwell, chair:

  • Report was handed out to the committee.  There are 22 active listings, not including condos, and there are six pending sales.  Seven properties have sold in four months.  Nothing is selling for the asking price.

Safety & Security – Carl Langley, chair:

  • Carl is still collecting data to chart crime activity.  His stats show that burglaries are increasing again.
  • Ken advised that he may ask those with Crime Watch signs if they would like to participate in the program.  If not, they should return the signs.
  • Ken spoke to Officer Perez about cameras for the storefront.  The PD will take care of getting these.
  • The Woodhaven Gun Club offers a discount to WNA members.
  • Code Blue members are actively patrolling.  We need to get more members!  Ask your neighbors to join.
  • Kyni is looking into purchasing more Code Blue signs.  He is checking with the PD about WNA paying for them.
  • If you are in Code Blue, please carry Woodhaven Code Blue brochures and applications so you can pass them out as needed.

Enhancement – Tom & Ken, co-chairs:

  • Ken will be leaving for the summer. Tom will be taking over for the rest of the year.
  • Chesapeake will be pushing a pipe under Bridgewood sometime in May.  This will affect our marker.  They will try to salvage the wall with “Woodhaven” imprinted in it.  Most of the shrubs have been transplanted into the other markers.  For every tree that’s cut down in the City of Fort Worth, one has to be planted, so Chesapeake will do this.
  • Rick Disney will be handling the negotiations with Chesapeake.
  • The sprinkler system is still not working properly at Bridgewood again.  Contractor will repair this.
  • Brandon is to ask before he does any extra work.  He will be repairing a sprinkler head at Highwoods and Boca Raton.
  • We asked if we could put the marker work out for bid.  First, we will try scaling back, then request bids at the first of the year.
  • In one of the upcoming email blasts, we will ask for volunteers to assist with the markers to help lower maintenance costs.
  • The committee thanked Ken for his hard work on the markers.

Membership – Peggy Schooler, chair

  • There are still a few memberships coming in.  We currently have 115.
  • Re: the newsletter – We did not generate enough new members to warrant doing a mailing to the entire membership again.  Carl advised that he signed up one person for Crime Watch.
  • Those who haven’t renewed their memberships have not  said why they have not joined again.
  • Greg advised that neighborhood association memberships are down throughout the city.

Publicity & Website – Bobbi Galvin, chair

  • It was suggested that in order for the newsletter to be successful, we need to do it more than once.

Special projects & Programs – Wanda Lanham and Tony Browning, co-chairs

  • Wanda has been working on publicity for the shredding event.  Greg will send out more emails.
    • The shredding truck will be there at 8:30, please come and help set up.
    • Carl & Kyni will assist with tables and chairs.
    • Kay will bring a chair and umbrella, ice chest, ice and water.
    • Kyni will do a Code Blue table.
    • Greg & Doug will get Danny’s tent.
    • Shaws will take the money and will get change for the event.
    • Wanda/Greg will get a coupons from Albertson’s and Mr. Jim’s.
  • Greg and Wanda met with Scoma about the 4th of July program. The Club has a committee to determine the events of the day.  They will let Wanda know when they decide how we can assist.

There be no further businesses, the meeting was adjourned at 8:30 PM.

Next Steering Committee meeting: Wednesday, June 6th at 7:00 PM.

_______________________________________________________

April 2012

Present: Greg Ricks, Kyni Hartwell, Carl Langley, Bobbi Galvin, Peggy Schooler, Wanda Lanham, Ken Stephens, Doug Cuny

The meeting was called to order by Greg Ricks at the Woodhaven Country Club at 7:31 PM.

Treasurer’s report:
Treasurer Cuny advised that all receipts have been paid to date. Treasurer’s report will be filed for audit.

Secretary’s Report was approved and is available online.

Committee Reports:

Apartment & Real Estate
Kyni Hartwell, chair:

  • No report available (Tornadoes knocked out Kyni’s internet)

Safety & Security – Ken, chair:

  • .Carl is still collecting data to chart crime activity.
  • We need to find a way to instantly notify members of crimes.

Enhancement – Tom & Ken, co-chairs chair:

  • There are several areas of high grass.  Complaints can be filed online with the city.
  • There is an app for the City of Ft. Worth to report code violations.

Membership – Peggy Schooler, chair

  • There was a suggestion to ask former members why they haven’t joined.

Publicity & Website – Bobbi Galvin, chair

  • Newsletter has been at the printer since last Thursday.  The neighborhood should be receiving it any day now.

Special projects & Programs – Wanda Lanham and Tony Browning, co-chairs

  • Wanda will be working on the 4th of July program.
  • Press release was sent to Meadowbrook News about the shredding event.
  • There will be a Code Blue table at the shredding event.
  • Wanda will mention it at Woodhaven Women’s Club.
  • Wanda and Kay will ask Albertson’s for a coupon to be given out that day.  Also, Mr. Jim’s is open to the idea of distributing a coupon.

OLD BUSINESS:

  • None

NEW BUSINESS:

  • None

Next Steering Committee meeting: Tues., May 1st or 2nd at 7:00 PM.

There be no further businesses, the meeting was adjourned at 8:30 PM.

______________________________________________________

March 20, 2012

The meeting was called to order at 6:35 at the home of Wanda Lanham.

Present:  Greg Ricks, Kay Shaw, Kyni Hartwell, Bobbi Galvin, Carl Langley, Wanda Lanham, Ken Stephens

We will be going back to one meeting per month.

After next month, we will try meeting on the 2nd Monday of each month.

The WNA quarterly meeting was a success!  Thanks to Wanda and her helpers!  We received a lot of great comments.

April 18th is the scholarship reception at the Country Club.  Cost will be $3 for dessert.

We need to follow up with Scoma on the details for the 4th of July.  Greg will pull together the details.

If the Club cooperates, it’s possible we may have a dinner meeting in May on a night that the Club has a dinner.  The Steering Committee will try to meet there on April 4that 7:00, provided that there is a menu, since there is not currently a chef.

The shredding project needs a name…  “Stop Identity Theft!  GET SHREDDED!” Wanda will advise the shredding company.  Mike at Albertson’s will be issuing coupons to participants.  Bobbi/Wanda will make signs for area businesses and do the ad for the Meadowbrook News. Greg will advise the other neighborhood associations.  Cost will be $5 up to first five boxes (standard file storage boxes or trash bags) of documents and $2 each additional box.

Newsletter is in the proofreading stage.

Greg will be putting out more Crime Watch signs.

Lighting is an issue in the neighborhood…Bobbi will compose a letter to Councilman Scarth about getting bulbs.  Is there a standard for lighting in Ft. Worth? (seedy, unsafe, better presentation of the neighborhood when it’s well lit)

Trash is also an issue…what can be done?

Meeting was adjourned at 7:37.

________________________________

March 2012

Present:
Greg Ricks                    Carl Langley
Bobbi Galvin                  Tony Browning  absent)
Kay Shaw (absent)      Tom Unterberger  (absent)
Kyni Hartwell                 Wanda Lanham
Peggy Schooler
Ken Stephens  (absent)

The meeting was called to order by Greg Ricks at the home of Bobbi Galvin at 7:04 PM.

Treasurer’s report:
Treasurer Cuny advised that all receipts have been paid to date. Treasurer’s report will be filed for audit.

Last month there was a question about the cost of the markers.  Doug will be sending out an itemized copy of the bill.

Secretary’s Report was approved and is available online.

Committee Reports:

Apartment & Real Estate
Kyni Hartwell, chair:

  • There are currently 19 active properties for sale ranging from $69,900 to $245,000.
  • The average cost per square foot is $54.07.
  • There are three pending sales.
  • Eleven properties have been sold in the last 180 days.
  • We will now be including single-family residents in Boca Club so that they can participate in WNA.

Safety & Security – Carla Langley, chair:

  • Bobbi is working on a Code Blue website.
  • Crime seems to be dropping in Woodhaven.
  • Ken mentioned that the goal for Code Blue is 100 members.
  • Karl and Greg went to a Crime Watch meeting.

Enhancement – Tom & Ken, co-chairs:

  • Seasonal work is being done on the markers, such as weeding.  We would like to make this more efficient.
  • Greg will follow up with the person doing the power washing to see why this hasn’t been completed yet.
  • All repairs have been made to the Boca & Bridge St. marker sprinkler system.
  • Greg advised that he met with the new manager at Home Depot.  He may be working with Greg on plants for the markers.

Membership – Peggy Schooler, chair

  • Thanks to Kyni, Peggy will be contacting the new homeowners about WNA membership.

Publicity & Website – Bobbi Galvin, chair

  • Newsletter will be ready after the March 14th meeting.

Special projects & Programs – Wanda Lanham and Tony Browning, co-chairs

  • Wanda, Greg and Bobbi met with Mr. Scoma and he seems receptive to working together.  He will be joining WNA.
  • We can use the Albertson’s parking lot for the shredding.  Wanda will check with manager about coupons for participants.  This event will be open to all of East Ft. Worth and Woodhaven newspaper will be used for advertising.
  • Re: March 14thneighborhood meeting:
    • There will be Code Blue and RAPIDS, Hawk, ADT tables.
    • Speaker for CHL will be available.
    • Speakers will need food as well.
    • Any leftovers will be taken to Storefront.
    • Wear Code Blue shirts, please.
    • Vendors will be coming.
    • Several members will be assisting with set-up beginning at 5:00 PM.

OLD BUSINESS:

  • Nothing to report

NEW BUSINESS:

  • Nothing to report

Next Steering Committee meeting: Tues., March 20th at 7:00 PM.  Location TBA.

There be no further businesses, the meeting was adjourned at 8:17 PM.

___________________________________

February 2012

Present:

Greg Ricks               Carl Langley
Bobbi Galvin           Tony Browning
Kay Shaw                 Tom Unterberger
Peggy Schooler       Wanda Lanham
Ken Stephens

The meeting was called to order by Greg Ricks at the home of Tony Browning at 7:11 PM.

Treasurer’s report:
Treasurer Cuny advised that all receipts have been paid to date. Treasurer’s report will be filed for audit.

There was a question about the cost of the markers.  Ken and Tom will ask for an itemized bill.

Secretary’s Report was approved and is available online.

Committee Reports:

Apartment & Real Estate
Kyni Hartwell, chair:

  • There are 20 listings, average price per square foot is  $55.37.
  • There are a few pending sales in the neighborhood.
  • In the last 60 days, six homes have been sold.

Safety & Security – Carl Langley, chair:

  • Wanda, Carl, Greg and Bobbi will meet with NPO Perez about getting Code Blue back up and running.
  • Code Blue assisted with two arrests this past Thursday.
  • We need LOTS more communication!
  • There is also a Crime Watch organization in Woodhaven.

Enhancement – Tom & Ken, co-chairs:

  • Grounds were messed up and sprinklers destroyed from the construction on Bridge & Boca Raton.  City will be contacting contractors about repairs.
  • They spoke with Brandon about what needs done with the markers.
  • Two of the markers will be power washed at $50 each.

Membership – Peggy Schooler, chair

  • Greg will be working with a copywriter to create a brochure about the benefits of joining WNA & Code Blue.

Publicity & Website – Bobbi Galvin, chair

  • New e-mail program has been tested.
  • Working on a classified section on the website. It will be for members only.
  • Bobbi will work on updating the website to list the businesses in the area.

Special projects & Programs – Wanda Lanham and Tony Browning, co-chairs

  • We need to begin working on the 4th of July program.  Bobbi will be meeting with Scoma about using the country Club.  She will also ask about karaoke in March.

OLD BUSINESS:

  • The NRP Group out of San Antonio wants to build a senior living center at 1051 Woodhaven Blvd.  Greg met with them and advised that the neighborhood would probably not welcome the idea..  It MAY be a possibility if one of the other apts. are torn down and they rebuild on the land.
  • Directories are being delivered by volunteers to those who were not able to be at the annual meeting.
  • Doug is still looking into getting a PayPal account for WNA.  There is a 2.9% plus $1.75 per transaction.  The group agreed to go ahead with this.

NEW BUSINESS:

  • Code Enforcement is speaking at WDC and Greg will be attending next week.
  • A note to all members: “If you still need a directory….” will be sent to the membership.
  • We will be sending out a note about the upcoming redistricting meeting.

Next Steering Committee meeting: Tues., February 21st at 7:00 PM at Peggy’s house.

There be no further businesses, the meeting was adjourned.

______________________________________________________________________________

January, 17 2012 – Annual Meeting

After about a half hour of socializing, the meeting was called to order by Woodhaven Neighborhood President Greg Ricks at Woodhaven Country Club at 6:36 PM.

Treasurer’s report:
Beginning balance for 2012 is $13,229.94.  The biggest expense is the Woodhaven markers.  Treasurer Cuny advised that all receipts have been paid to date, and all 2011 Treasurer’s reports have been filed for audit.

Meeting notes:

  • Greg advised that there are 248 current members, with more joining every day.
  • Gary Johansen and Sandy Ross were recognized and thanked for their service through the years.  THANKS, YOU TWO!
  • Greg also thanked Kay Shaw for getting all of the sponsors for the new directory.  It looks great!  Thanks to the directory committee!
  • Marty Jackson gave a brief report of real estate in Woodhaven.  There are ten active single-family home listings, and three town homes.  There have been seven sales in the last six months. The average home for sale is listing at $60/per square foot.

The slate of 2012 officers was presented by Nominating Chair Gary Johansen:

Executive Committee:
Greg Ricks, President
Bobbi Galvin, Vice President
Kay Shaw, Secretary
Doug Cuny, Treasurer

Standing Committee Chairpersons:
Commercial, Kay Shaw
PR/IT, Bobbi Galvin
Special Events, Wanda Lanham and Tony Browning, co-chairs
Apartment Liaison, Kyni Hartwell
Enhancement, Ken Stpehens and Tom Unterberger, co chairs
Membership, Peggy Schooler
Safety & Security, Carl Langley

There being no additional nominations from the floor, the present slate of officers was approved by the membership.

Additional meeting notes

  • Greg mentioned that the main goals for 2012 will be membership, the markers, and crime prevention/Code Blue.  We will also focus on the following:
    — Flower fundraisers will continue
    — Ambit Energy partnership will continue
    — Continuing the relationship with Chesapeake
    — Club relationship will grow and continue
    — Golf Scholarship will be held again this year
    — Occasional neighborhood cleanups
    — PayPal will be implemented on the website.
    — A new e-mail program will be implemented to make communications more streamlined.
  • Officer Perez told us about the home burglaries in the area.  There are ongoing investigations concerning Oakmont Lane.  The burglars are acting often and bravely, some lingering around in the homes for hours.  There have been a few arrests and property has been located.
    —  As always, it’s asked that we look out for our neighbors.  CALL 911 WHENEVER YOU SENSE SOMETHING WRONG.  Juveniles and young adults are breaking windows to see if you have an alarm system and then making entry.  They are targeting guns, electronics and jewelry.  These criminals are young, not career criminals.
    —  These criminals are coming from the apartment complexes, even though each apartment renter will need to sign the Crime-Free Housing Agreement/Ordnance.  It may take up to a year to get everyone to sign them.  (They will sign when their lease is renewed.)
    —  Perez suggested that we all do a security check of your home…view it as a criminal would.  Also make sure to inventory your valuables with serial numbers.
  • LT Weenig advised that they are pulling out all of the stops to catch these criminals.
    —  Texas Youth Commission is the “kid jail” for our area, but  no one under the age of 12 has been sent there under the current family court judge.  They are being caught and re-released.
    —  One adult and two juveniles have been arrested, and three more have warrants.  PD is also working with apartment complexes.  Apt. managers will be evicting those who are committing crimes.
    —  CPS has been called to assist, and they are not really able to do anything since there is no abuse.
    —  Just FYI…crime victims can sue for up to $10,000.
    —  Focus on ANY suspicious activity.  Esp. between 8-2 PM.
  • LT explained the difference between the priority of calls.  No matter what the issue, police WILL RESPOND as quickly as they are able.  To get more police presence, report everything that’s unusual to 911.
  • As always, you have the right to ask for a police supervisor if you are not happy with police response time or officer behavior.
  • Bike patrol was suggested and LT advised he will revisit this idea.
  • More patrols from code enforcement was also suggested.
  • When strangers cross the golf course, call 911, and not the clubhouse security office.
  • Councilman Danny Scarth came to say hello and to let us all know that his priority for Woodhaven is dedicating resources to safety and security.  He will also being speaking with the district attorney about prosecuting the younger kids to the fullest extent of the law.
    —  He also recommended putting more people/hours into Code Blue.
    —  Economic development is also an issue.  For example, apartments are too cheap to rent, which brings in lower income people.  We need to build equity in the neighborhood.
    —  Danny also asked that the executive committee work on a PID.  Money could be used for marker maintenance, infrastructure, lighting, extra police patrol, beautification, etc.  50% of homeowners and property owners would need to approve this.  All money generated would stay locally, and local volunteers would regulate the funds.
    —  Danny also thanked the WNA steering committee for their service this year.  He encouraged more folks to get involved.
  • Question from the audience: Who can write the citation for a dog not on a leash? Police officers can cite the offender.

Greg thanked everyone for coming.  The key to WNA success is participation!  If anyone wants to be more involved in WNA, please let us know and we will find a place for you!

Next Steering Committee meeting: Tues., January 24th at 6:00 PM.

There be no further businesses, the meeting was adjourned at 7:44 PM.